Custody and Non-Marital Births
Wednesday, 27 May 2009 13:35

It is quite common for a non-married couple to have a child out of wedlock. Yet this situation often raises complex questions when it comes to child custody and Michigan child support. In Michigan, according to the Acknowledgment of Parentage Act, the mother will always be awarded initial custody when the parents are unmarried. According to the Act, this means the mother has the right to remove the child from the home and the right to leave the state.


Sound unfair for the father? That's where the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act comes in. The purpose of this Act is to counterbalance the Acknowledgment of Parentage Act by protecting the rights of the other parent. Your Michigan Child Custody Attorney will be able to discuss in detail how you can protect your rights as a parent. Contact your Michigan Family Law Attorney to learn more about these two important laws.
Last Updated ( Monday, 28 April 2014 15:34 )

Latest Michigan Divorce Blog